Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bliss on a Budget - Week #5


This week we are going to give your feet the bliss that they deserve. I take great pride in my feet - Anyone that knows me - know that I love shoes - I mean I love shoes. Now the difference between me and the ladies on the show Sex in the City - is that I love shoes because of how they make me feel inside my body. I could care less what brand they are, if they are the season's hot shoe, where they came from (I have at least 20 pairs of shoes from thrift stores that I paid less then 10.00 for) When I say inside my body - what I mean is nothing makes me feel more confident then the right pair of shoes.

Now I have specific criteria when it come to shoes that I will wear - Bear with me - this is not actually about shoes - I really one have only a few different types of shoes I will wear. If they are heels they must be 3 1/2 inches minimum (even my boots have this heel), and have a slim heel. This is because I really like my legs, and I like my walk (I know - brag much Jenn) and this high of a heel makes my legs and walk look best. If I am wearing flats - I will only wear flip flops - I don't like the way other shoes look on my feet - especially tennis shoes - They make my feet look so fat. The exception to all these rules are my cowboy boots - these are both functional, comfortable and most of all red - so they are sassy like me.

Okay with all that said - I am very feet aware. I always have my toes done because you never know when I will be wearing either flip flops - or open toed heels. Having my feet always done is actually only something that came about in probably the last 10 years - prior to that I had no feet fashion at all. In fact when I was 18 years old my friend Maralee had a house she rented with 3 other girls. The house was close to the "U" and central to everything - so most of our fun weekends started and ended at Maralee's.

One weekend, I have no idea what we were doing, but we had all come back to Maralee's and had essentially changed into sweats and started to chill out and watch TV or something - as such I had taken off a pair of boots I had been wearing all day along with my socks and had put them off to the side of the room. These boots were one of my only "cool" pair of shoes. I had gotten them on a sale - They were ESPRIT and were a pale lavender suede that came up to my lower calf (think Doc Martin's) - they laced up - and I thought I was completely lucky to have them. They were my "go to" boots. The problem with these boots is that they did not give your feet anyway to breath and I was not a girl who took really great care of her feet anyway - So as you can imagine if you did not really take great care - these boots would begin to stink - and so would your feet.

Well on this particular weekend - I think I had been at Maralee's for at least 1 night already - and so I didn't have a fresh pair of socks (it didn't occur to me to ask to borrow some) and so I was wearing the same socks and shoes for the second day in a row. After I took them off and set them to the side - I didn't give it another thought. Well Maralee had a roommate - Amy - Amy was completely sweet and we all loved her. She came home from where she worked and disappeared into her room, in a few minutes we saw her moving around, taking out the trash, vacuuming, etc. After awhile Maralee said - "Amy - What are you doing?" Amy feeling completely terrible comes out and talks to the group and says "Oh guys, I am so sorry! I have been cleaning and cleaning and that smell is still here - I am pretty sure it must be my room, but I can't make the smell go away" With that Maralee looks at me and says in her little Maralee voice "Gin - your feet and shoes smell to high heaven - take you shoes outside and go wash your feet" (Maralee was not one to worry about hurting my feelings :) ) I was so embarrassed and at that moment I vowed that I would never have stinky feet again. I am absolutely obsessed with my feet.

So I get pedicures - But it has only been for the last 10 years I have been able to afford to get them with such regularity. I get them once ever two weeks - and so my toes always look pretty and my feet always look good - I was actually once offered to be a foot model (But that is another story) And if you have never had a pedicure - you absolutely must - it is pure bliss.

Here is the deal with Pedicures - You must go to one of those places that is ran by the folks from Vietnam - they have a corner on the foot market. Second it is important to choose a place that not only have the chairs with the jetted tub you put your feet in but the chair must also massage as well. When I say Massage you must be vigilant - you're not looking for a chair that just vibrates - you are looking for a chair that actually has those hand feeling rollers that really dig in and work your back. You also must choose a place that has paraffin wax - all of these items should be available for no more then $35.00 - I get french nails - so mine is usually $5.00 more.

In Salt Lake - I would recommend PK Nails - by the old Cottonwood Mall. Getting a pedicure is pure bliss and can absolutely turn around any bad day. And that is our bliss on a budget moment this week!

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygosh if you were to see the condition of my feet - especially toes and toe nails - why - your own toes would curl in discuss I'm afraid. My shoes are the worse - although I've tried buying nice attractive foot wear - but only to hand them to my mom because they are just too painful for my feet to enjoy. My secret is to get people to look at my "above feet" area :-) P.S. With sandals I wear socks ... helps hide.

    ReplyDelete