Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bliss on a Budget - Week #4


Facial Hair Free Bliss:


Okay - here is your bliss on a budget for this week. There are two blogs this week - because I needed to make sure I also wrote a blog on Things that Matter. And with that, we will get right to it.

Women - as much as it is embarrassing we have facial hair. I know that we tell ourselves that it is super light and that no one really notices - but these are just stories we tell ourselves to make us feel better about having facial hair. I notice - in fact if you have facial hair it might be the first thing I notice about you. It will have zero impact on whether or not I like or love you - but just the same I will notice and I will make a small mental note that says something like - "When you get a chance to be close enough to her - maybe a confidant - that should be the first thing you handle with her."

I know there are several kinds of facial hair: there is that light colored mustache that some try to cover up with make-up, There is a those random whiskers that pop up on our chins, and then probably the worst impact facial hair of all - eyebrows. All of these types of facial hair can be handled and will make a significant difference about how you feel about your self.

My first realization that I had facial hair came when I was about 20 years old. I was waiting for some fries at McDonald's (you know when they aren't ready - so they have you pull off to the side to a special parking space and they bring them out to your car) Well - I was on my way to somewhere important/maybe even to meet a boy - and so I pulled down the visor to look in the mirror - suddenly and without warning there was a huge whisker on my check - and when I say huge - I mean like 1 inch long. I was astounded - how had I missed this. After collecting my fries - I drove straight to a drug store and bought a pair of tweezers and got rid of that whisker immediately.

A more dramatic experience came a few years later in Hawaii of all places. My mother decided wouldn't it be nice from me, my mother, my sister Emily, my grandma Kay, and my aunt Kittie to go to a conference at BYU Hawaii - called "A New You" - This turned out to be a makeover camp for post menopausal woman - with Emily and I being the youngest by far there - and we had to stay in the dorms (that's another story altogether) Anyway as part of the conference they had a make-up class. As part of the class all participants had to purchase a make-up mirror. You know the ones with lights all the way around - and one side of the mirror in regular phase and the other side with 5X magnification. Holy Moly for the first time ever I was able to see how much hair I had growing on my face and it was scary - My eyebrows where dreadful - and that light mustache I had was actually made up of some pretty dark hair - lastly there were about 10 whiskers on my chin - oh dread! The lovely well intentioned ladies of the make-up class tried to teach us all how to pluck our eyebrows - but really - we aren't professional - we did not do a very good job!

I finally got a handle on my facial hair in Nashville, TN in the fall of 1998. At that time I worked for Novell, and at that point I had a territory that stretched from Southern California to North Carolina and south. I had to be in Nashville for meetings and had gone in to an Aveda salon to get my hair colored - After doing my hair the stylist said to me - "let's do your eyebrows and lip shall we." Because I was certain that I would probably not see her again - I said "The lip worries me - what if it grows back with stubble?" She took the time to explain to me - that no it won't grow back that way - and that if anything every time you wax - it grows in with less and finer hair - and that when I am older - it will stop growing in at all. That was all I needed to hear - and with that I had my first eyebrow and lip wax. Now as a word of warning - this will hurt - bad! but for only a minute or two - and we all know that being beautiful is painful - So you will need to be prepared to suck it up and be tough!

I must have looked like and idiot I could not get over how smooth my lip felt - I just kept running my finger over it - thinking - my gosh - I am hairy monster and I didn't even know it. The eyebrow wax opened up my eyes and I looked well rested and refreshed. I could not believe what a tremendous difference my eyebrows and lip made - I felt beautiful and more importantly confident. From that moment on I began keeping my face facial hair free. I also use my lighted make-up mirror - but that has more to do with blindness then anything.

Now when you go to a salon to get your eyebrows and lip done that is going to run you approximately $25.- $35. + tip for the eyebrows, and $15. -$20 for your lip. The price may go down about 30% if you go to a nail place - I also find that they do a better job. But here are my recommendation for taking care of your facial hair needs.

Eyebrows are something that quite simply should not be done by anyone but a professional. The ladies at the nail place have this down to a science and they will change you about $15.00 for your eyebrows to be waxed. You will be blown away by the absolute difference this will make for your face - You will look younger and more beautiful - guaranteed! For the rest of your face you need to head to a grocery store, or drug store and purchase a box of Sally Hansen Wax Strips for about $6.00 - These strips will allow you to fuzz free your face - and you can do it at home in privacy - So for a whopping $21.00 - you should be all set to be facial hair free, confident, sexy and self assured.
For those you, that live near me - and would like help - I am a picker (someone who likes to pick on things) and would be more then happy to give you a lesson on how use your wax strip kit.
Happy Facial Hair Free Bliss!

1 comment:

  1. love Sally Hansen..been using it for years...
    I burst out loud laughing about the BYU-H trip for you guys!

    ReplyDelete