Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunset Bliss - Week #3


This weeks moment of bliss is coming to you absolutely free of charge. You can also have it every day should you wish - This weeks moment of bliss is the sunset. I am a very lucky girl, I have the chance to travel all over the country and sometimes all over the world. I have been able to see the sunset's in many places and countries. There are beach sunsets where I have walked hand in hand with my love. There are mountain sunsets when the air turns cool and crisp and if you are lucky you have water there too. There are city sunsets as viewed from outside of a hotel window, or from my back deck that overlooks the city lights.

The key to sunsets is taking a moment to stop and watch. Is there really something so important that it can't wait for the moments of pure bliss that come from seeing the sunset slowly, dramatically with certainty - It puts that moment in perspective - Just how small I am, and just how awesome the Universe is. Sunset's in Alaska, sunsets in Mexico, sunsets over the ocean when you are sailing across the sea. Sunset's with the one(s) you love. Sunset's with your children.

About 3 years ago, James and I made the decision to turn off the electronics when we were in the car with the exception of the radio. At first it was difficult. Jackson was at that age when if we were driving for more then 20 minutes, he would get bored, and whine, and do his best to drive James crazy. But despite the fact that it was very difficult, and met with some resistance we suffered through about 2 weeks and when the kids would complain - we would tell them to look out the window and imagine. Our argument was when we were kids we didn't have ipods, gameboys, dvd players, etc. When we drove we had to look out the window and imagine. We thought if it was good enough for us - it should be good enough for our kids. We simply did not want them to have to be entertained all the time. And the most wonderful thing happened........they did look out the window - and they did start using their imaginations - and it was manifested in an interesting way - they started noticing the beautiful world around them, including the sunsets.

As many of you know - we have some some 2 year old colts in Idaho that my wonderful in-laws allow us to keep on the farm. So as much as we can we make the 3 hour drive up to Idaho and visit our horses and work with them. This last summer I enjoyed the most wonderful moment with Jackson. It was time to bring in the horses and give them their nightly feeding. Jackson had been working hard with Grandpa and James all day, and was down at the corrals with them finishing the farm chores. I was waiting for them to finish, and Jackson said "Hey mom, do you want to want to climb up to the top of the straw bails with me" I said yes - and we made our way up to sit down at the top of the hay. There, as we watched, the sun starting setting in the west - and we quietly watched it as it made it's way slowly over the far off ridge. Jackson reached over and grabbed my hand and after a few minutes I looked over and watched his face. With tears streaming down his face he said to me softly - "Mom, that was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen" I nodded in agreement - and we sat there for a few more minutes before it was time to come in for supper.

Go watch a sunset today......

1 comment:

  1. beautiful, jenn. last week i called steve as i was driving home to have him go outside and see the fabulous sunset, i had to share it with him!

    ReplyDelete