Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vanity Fair Bliss


I am a reader - I love to read. As most of you know, I travel a lot for work - I love it. I know some people think that traveling for work would be difficult, or thrilling, cool. I can tell you without a doubt it is all of those things - and sometimes worse or better. I have gypsy blood, and if I am home for more then about 3 weeks in a row, even James will turn to me and say "don't you think it is time you went somewhere?" I guess when I am not traveling I get a little grumpy.


What I love about traveling is seeing the country. I love the barns that dot the landscape across Ohio, I love the smell of the Northern Cal up to Seattle - You know the smell of moisture in the air. I love the Ocean, and the mountains. I love rental cars, they are always new, they get amazing gas mileage. I very rarely have the desire to buy a new car - because why bother, I am driving a new one every week. I love hotel rooms - I love the one's with make-up mirrors mounted in the bathroom, the desks with all the plugs right, and available. I love the points, oh how I love the points!! The points that give me status and make the hotels, rental car, and airlines treat me special - and like I matter more then other folks. The points that take me and the ones I love to other destinations - Did I mention I love the points.


I have a ritual when I travel. I go the airport and check in at the Kiosk (the ones for the important folks that have status - the ones without the lines :) ) I go through the short line in security, I am very good at security - I can get through with only 1 tub, no problems - no buzzers, no additional screening - this isn't my first rodeo. I then make a B-line to the Starbucks right after security, where I order my customary drink - triple grande, 1 pump, toffee nut, non-fat latte. Once this is handled I head to the magazine shop.


Now at the magazine shop I could do the responsible and reasonable thing, and I could pick up a magazine that talks about business or health care, etc. But I don't - I never work on the plane - it's terrible, but I never do. I grab People Magazine and US Weekly. And on the plane I read those magazines from cover to cover. They are complete fluff, have really no merit at all, and they are one of my most favorite guilty pleasures. I am usually pretty up to date on Hollywood gossip, and all things scandal. Now if I am flying towards the end of the month - that is when the new copy of Vanity Fair comes out. This is by far my favorite time of the month. I love Vanity Fair - more than you can possibly imagine. If you are not familiar with Vanity Fair - it is not even remotely a fashion magazine - it is like 60 minutes in magazine form.


Vanity Fair is where I learned about mortgage credit swap defaults, and the details of how Bernie Madoff spent billions of his clients money without getting caught for so many years, Vanity Fair is where learned of the Art world war, that is going on between the two major museums in Los Angeles, and hidden treasure (or missing treasure) or a ancient family in England. The history of Wikileaks, Sarah Palin, etc. I read Vanity Fair from cover to cover every month. It is my balance - it gives me information I hadn't even thought of looking into. I love it and for me it is bliss.


So here is my suggestion Go to a book store - You remember book stores - they are a wonderful place just chalk full of guilty pleasure. Like ice cream for your brain, without the sugar and the fat :) Or a library for that matter. Find a magazine or book something that isn't required, or full of the "should's" or "ought too's" and spend 20.00 or so. Draw yourself a bath, maybe even with those smelly salts and sink into your bath, or for that matter - get on that plane grab your magazine and enjoy the bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment